Donald Edward Swing
10503 Graeloch Road
Laurel, Maryland 20723
Lead Software Engineer, software architect, and applications
developer with over 20 years experience, specializing in visualization,
knowledge representation, semantics, 3D graphics, and Web development.
Innovative software designer, experienced in developing and applying
cutting-edge technologies. Strengths include technical leadership,
innovative development, problem-solving, and applying cutting-edge
technology. Extensive experience in software architecture and design,
quality assurance, CMM, systems engineering and integration, operational
planning, graphical user interface (GUI) design and technical writing.
Vision Systems and Technology, Ellicott City, MD
NCI Inc., Annapolis Junction, MD 2003-2006
Triton Services, Bowie MD, 2002-2003
National Security Agency, Ft. Meade, Maryland 1986-2002
Principal Technology Consultant - VSTI (2006-current)
Served as Technical Consultant for several data correlation
projects involving COTS integration, faceted search, data streaming, and
agent technologies. Developer and designer of various
knowledge-representation strategies, semantic constructs, and
- Developed Prajna Open-Source toolkit for visualization,
knowledge representation, semantic reasoning, data fusion, and
- Developed multiplevisualization prototypes, including
geographic, network and hierarchy visualizations.
- Authored, or served as technical representative for, several
proposals for government services
- Integrated visualization prototypes with data streaming and
filtering architectures for technology demonstration and validation.
- Authored several proposals, and provided technical
contributions to other proposals.
- Represented VSTI at University of MD Human-Computer
Interaction Laboratory functions.
Principal Software Engineer - NCI Inc. 2003-2006
Served as Technical Lead, Software Architect, and Senior
Developer for a processing engine designed to automatically perform
services on collected files. This engine provided content analysis on
collected data, producing additional metadata to enable NSA analysts to
identify which collected files may contain the most useful or
- Architected, designed and implemented software agents to
automate the algorithm training process. Created a framework for new
algorithms to interact with the system, and integrated multiple
existing algorithms into the new agents.
- Rearchitected the existing system, reducing complexity of
- Designed and implemented a wizard utility with a GUI to
automate complex tasks within the system, and to allow operations
monitors to easily reconfigure multiple installations at various sites.
- Designed and implemented database persistence software for
- Started a company-wide Java Special Interest Group, providing
talks on various software topics. Also designed and taught a Java
Certification Training course.
Senior Software Engineer - Triton Services 2002-2003
Served as Technical Lead, Software Architect, and Senior
Developer in the development of a prototype Visualization system for NSA
supporting the improvement of their Command, Control, Communications,
Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR)
- Designed and guided implementation of Multi-Tier J2EE System
for the C4ISR application.
- Implemented techniques to integrate with existing
methodologies and tools
- Evaluated tools and technologies, including SilverStream
Portal software, ArcInfo GIS Systems, NetViz, and other Web and
Visualization utilities, for integration into C4ISR Visualization
- Mentored other members of the C4ISR team in Object-Oriented
Design, Java and J2EE technologies, and Software Development
Visualization/Web Development Specialist - NSA 1995-2002
Developed numerous visualization prototypes using web-based
techniques, finding innovative solutions to analytical problems.
Evaluated numerous commercial and government visualization packages.
Educated other employees on graphics, web and visualization techniques.
- Developed immersive environment for collaboration tool suite
used by NSA, and provided code enhancements to the open-source
development team responsible for the tools.
- Designed innovative visualization tools for network traffic
monitoring and analysis, using novel visualization paradigms.
- Developed several web-based information visualization
prototypes for visualizing data from a suite of automated analytic
- Created utilities to access databased information and convert
it for display within commercial visualization packages.
Software Project Manager - NSA 1986-1994
Served as project manager within Open Systems Mapping
Applications Group. Primary designer, customer support, and development
team leader for a 3D interactive cartographic system designed for the
display and analysis of satellites and other vehicles.
- Created Interprocess Communication protocols for communicating
with NSA databases within application.
- Converted extensive astrodynamics library from Fortran to C,
and optimized algorithms to yield a significant performance increase.
- Modularized mapping routines and vectorized mapping library,
reducing map-drawing time by 80%.
"Web-based Information Visualization", Randall M. Rohrer and
Edward Swing, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 4,
July/August 1997, pp. 52-59.
"Visualization of a Network Traffic Monitoring System", Edward
Swing, Late Breaking Hot Topics Proceedings of the IEEE Visualization
'97 Conference, pp. 65-68.
"Flodar: Flow Visualization of Network Traffic", Edward Swing,
IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 5, Sept/Oct 1998.
"Adding Immersion to Collaborative Tools", Edward Swing,
Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on the Virtual Reality Modeling
Language, pp. 63-68, ACM, 2000.
Java, J2EE Training, Sun Microsystems
VRML and OpenInventor Training, Silicon Graphics
M.S., Computer Science; Johns-Hopkins University
B.A., Computer Science, Mathematics; Rice University
- Java Certified Programmer
- Highly proficient in Java, J2EE, Swing, JSP, JDBC, RMI, and
other Java Technologies
- Highly Proficient in XML, HTML, C, VRML, Motif, CGI, PHIGS,
HTML, XML, Fortran, Geographic Information Systems, Semantic
- Presented talks at IEEE Information Visualization Conference,
ACM Web3D conference
- Participated in Web3D/VRML Conference Planning Committee
- Represented NSA on ANSI X3H3 Committee for Graphics Standards,
- Author or technical advisor of several proposals for
- UNIX System Administration experience
- Currently holds a Top Secret/SCI Security Clearance.